This week in real estate news: It appears the U.S. Mortgage Debt hits a new record, breaking the peak of the 2008 financial crisis. Also, it seems that rising labor and material costs are slowing down new residential building projects in the U.S.
From Realtor.com’s Latest News
U.S. Housing Starts Fell 4.0% in July
- Home building in the U.S. fell for a third straight month, showing that rising labor and material costs continue to dent the pace of home construction.
Condo Buyers Will Soon Have an Easier Time Scoring a Mortgage
- Buyers are about to have an easier time scoring a government mortgage to purchase a condo. These loans can offer super-low down payment requirements.
U.S. Mortgage Debt Hits Record, Eclipsing 2008 Peak
- U.S. mortgage debt reached a record in the second quarter of 2019, exceeding its peak in 2008, when the financial crisis unfolded. One factor could be homeowners tapping into home equity for cash when they refinance.
Mortgage Rates Fall Sharply as Trade Concerns Mount—but Many Would-Be Borrowers Are Likely to Miss Out
- Mortgage rates dropped significantly over the past week as concerns related to the ongoing trade dispute with China and the overall health of the economy dominated headlines.
From Spark Rental’s Latest Blog Posts
Cats vs. Dogs: Should I Allow Pets in My Rental Property? (Infographic)
- Pet lover? So are we! There are some great reasons to allow pets in your rental property… and some risks. What are the pros and cons of allowing pets in your rental? Is renting to tenants with cats better than allowing dogs? What are the risks of each? Most…
Should I Pay Off My Mortgages or Invest in New Rental Properties?
- You have $15,000 set aside, and you have a few rental properties. Should you aim to pay off a mortgage or invest in a new rental property? The answer, of course, is it depends. But it’s an easier question to answer than you think. Here’s what you need to know to…
The Best Cities for Real Estate Investing in 2019, by 8 Metrics & Maps
- What are the best cities for real estate investing in the US? Sure, it’s subjective. And yes, it depends on what kind of investing you’re doing. But that doesn’t mean that some cities don’t have better fundamentals for rental investing. In our hunt for the best cities…
How to Get a Mortgage for an LLC-Owned Rental Property
- When new investors start looking into buying real estate, one of their most common questions is: “How do I get a mortgage for an LLC-owned rental property?” Spoiler alert: it’s easier than you think. In fact, it’s one of the easiest things to learn as a new investor…
From Bigger Pockets’ Top Popular Posts
At What Age Is It Too Late to Invest in Real Estate?
- By Wayne Connell
60-Day Newbie Challenge: 6 Action Steps to Land Your First Deal in 2 Months or Less
- By Wayne Connell
How I Broke the Law to Protect My Real Estate Investment
- By Matt Faircloth
From PM Insider’s Latest Posts
Smart Home Technology: Managed versus Unmanaged Systems
- Smart home technology is hardly vanilla these days. For an apartment community to provide residents with amenities like smart locks, smart thermostats, lighting and shades accessible through their smartphones, finding the right recipe may be akin to having too many cooks in the kitchen. The answer is boiling down to managed and unmanaged smart community[…]
RealWorld 2019: Reliving the Magic
- Taking a break from the glitz of Las Vegas, RealWorld 2019 captured the magic, imagination and inspiration known for one of America’s top vacation destinations in July. RealPage greeted customers and industry leaders for three days in Orlando and demonstrated how its software changes how people experience, utilize and monetize rental space for working, living[…]
NMHC Toolkit Designed to Stimulate Affordability in Apartment Industry
- The multifamily housing industry has reached the point of crisis in many communities where rent rises have surpassed households’ pay raises, straining affordability. Attempts – some of them successful – to enact rent control have cast a dark cloud, and leaders argue that mandatory limits to price increases aren’t a viable solution, now or tomorrow.[…]
Feeling Good Inside
- The multifamily industry impacts millions of lives every day. As such, it is in society’s best interest that multi-family professionals do what they can to create healthy indoor environments within their communities. Residents receiving the full benefit of healthy indoor air is a win for everyone. Residents benefit when apartment communities in deregulated energy markets[…]
From Reddits /r/RealEstate Subreddit
Sold house. New owner didn’t switch utilities and just noticed I’ve been paying them for 3 months.
- current score on reddit: 151
Selling in a sellers market also means buying in a sellers market…
- current score on reddit: 148
My agent forgot to list my rental for 2 months (US/MA)
- current score on reddit: 133